Policy & Legislation
How a Bill Becomes Law
There are many steps for a bill to become a law. This link will walk you through those steps needed to get a bill to become a law in New Jersey. For more information go to http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/legislativepub/legprocess.asp
These are the current bills pending in both the senate and assembly in New Jersey. These bill were selected as they impact nursing and or healthcare for citizens in New Jersey.
- S2503 Allows school nurses to administer opioid antidotes to overdose victims on school property, with immunity from civil, criminal, and professional liability, pursuant to “Overdose Prevention Act.”
- S1305 and A3460 Requires Medicaid coverage for diabetes self-management education, training, services, and equipment for patients diagnosed with diabetes, gestational diabetes, and pre-diabetes.
- A669 and S1282 “Consumer Access to Health Care Act”; eliminates requirement of joint protocol with physician for advanced practice nurses to precribe medication.
- S103 and A3917 Enters New Jersey in multistate Nurse Licensure Compact.
- A4224 and S2963 Establishes tuition reimbursement program for certain advanced practice nurses who provide mental health care services in underserved areas in New Jersey.
- A4570 and S2971 Prohibits use of “Nurse” title by unlicensed person.
- S2058 and A671 Adds two nurse educators to the New Jersey Board of Nursing.
Find Your Legislator
It is easy to search for your Legislator. You can search by alphabetical list, municipality or legislative district here.
Once you have selected your representative you can electronically correspond with your representative using this option.