Policy & Legislation
How a Bill Becomes Law
There are many steps for a bill to become a law. This link will walk you through those steps needed to get a bill to become a law in New Jersey. For more information go to http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/legislativepub/legprocess.asp
These are the current bills pending in both the senate and assembly in New Jersey. These bill were selected as they impact nursing and or healthcare for citizens in New Jersey.
- A879 and S391 prohibit the title of “Nurse” for unlicensed individuals.
- A854 and S1961 “Consumer Access to Health Care Act” eliminates requirement of joint protocol with physician for advanced practices nurses to prescribe medication.
- A1597 and S954 enter New Jersey into a multistate Nurse Licensure Compact.
- S621 addresses expenditure of Board of Nursing budget and elimination of the home health aide application backlog.
- A877 and S517 establish a tuition reimbursement program for certain Advanced Practice Nurses who provide mental health care services in underserved areas in New Jersey.
- A859 and S953 require newly licensed registered professional nurses to attain baccalaureate degrees in nursing within 10 years of initial licensure as a condition of renewal of the license.
- A382 Establishes minimum certified nurse aide-to-resident ratios in nursing.
- A1470 and S989 establish minimum registered professional nurse staffing standards for hospitals and ambulatory surgery facilities and certain DHS facilities.
- S523 provides that the biennial renewal of license issued by New Jersey Board of Nursing is due on a professional’s birthday.
- A2792 and S2049 authorize psychiatric Advanced Practice Nurses to complete certain certificates required for involuntary commitment to treatment.
- A2194 and S964 establish a Behavioral Health Services Task Force with a member recommended by the Society of Psychiatric Advanced Practice Nurses of NJSNA.
- A1504 and S1072 “Aid in Dying for the Terminally Ill Act” permits qualified terminally ill patients to self-administer medication to end life in a humane and dignified manner.
- A1576 and S1003 Requires certain health care facilities to offer, and health care workers to receive, annual influenza vaccination.
Find Your Legislator
It is easy to search for your Legislator. You can search by alphabetical list, municipality or legislative district here.
Once you have selected your representative you can electronically correspond with your representative using this option.